[R-sig-ME] HPDinterval function with Rails example (P&B)

Robert Kushler kushler at oakland.edu
Wed Sep 10 17:04:18 CEST 2008

"ST" is the ratio of "sigma-Rail" to "sigma".

Try the code below.  This approach handles simple models correctly,
but not more complex ones.  I'm sure I'll be scolded for accessing
the slots directly (and perhaps other infelicities), but others may
provide improved code.

Regards,   Rob Kushler

# code from original message:
library(lme4)
data(Rail, package="nlme")
fmRail.lme <- lmer(travel~1+(1|Rail), data=Rail)
summary(fmRail.lme)
Railmcmc <- mcmcsamp(fmRail.lme, n=10000, saveb=TRUE)
HPDinterval(Railmcmc)

# new stuff:
plot(t(Railmcmc at ST))  # inspect the chain (could be "stuck at zero")
sigmaRail <- as.vector(Railmcmc at ST*Railmcmc at sigma)
hist(sigmaRail)
plot(density(sigmaRail,adjust=2),main='Posterior distribution of "sigma-Rail"')
sort(sigmaRail)[c(50,950)]  # frequentist "equal tails" CI

# ad hoc HPD interval
hpdint <- function(x,prob=0.95) {
  xx <- sort(x)
  nn <- length(xx)
  len <- function(a)  xx[floor((a+prob)*nn)] - xx[floor(a*nn)+1]
  tail <- optim((1-prob)/2,len,method="L-BFGS-B",lower=0,upper=1-prob)$par
  c(xx[floor(tail*nn)+1],xx[floor((tail+prob)*nn)])
}
hpdint(sigmaRail,0.9)