[R-sig-ME] ML or REML for LR tests

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 10 15:37:56 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:49 AM, John Maindonald
<john.maindonald at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Douglas -
> I am taking up your reply to the question that Austin
> Frank asked on August 29.  I'd like to check that my
> understanding of the reply is correct.

> Looking at page 59 of Pinheiro & Bates.  \theta is a
> parameterization of the ratio of the inverse of the variance-
> covariance matrix of the random effects, multiplied by \sigma^2,
> e.g., in a model with 3 levels of random effects,
> \theta = (\sigma/\sigma_1, \sigma/\sigma_2) might do the job.

More or less.  In lme4 the parameterization is the inverse of what you
have written.  That is, individual components of \theta are of the
form \sigma_1/\sigma. This change was made because we want to allow
for \sigma_1 to be zero whereas it is not important for \sigma to be
allowed to be zero.

> Both the profiled deviance and the profiled REML criterion
> are evaluated at each step of the optimization, albeit
> at the current REML estimate of \theta.  (The ML deviance
> can be determined without explicitly calculating the ML
> estimates of the fixed and random effects.)

I'm not sure what the part about "at the current REML estimate of
\theta" means.  For a given value of \theta the profiled deviance and
the REML criterion can both be evaluated.  The REML estimate of \theta
optimizes the profiled REML criterion.  The ML estimate of \theta
optimizes the profiled deviance.  The value of the profiled deviance
at the REML estimate of \theta will be greater than the profiled
deviance at the ML estimate but usually the difference in these
deviances is very small.

> It makes little difference whether one evaluates the
> likelihood deviance at the REML estimate of \theta or at
> the ML estimate.  More importantly for the anova table,
> the difference in deviances is not much altered.

Exactly.

> Thanks in anticipation

Thanks for the clarification.