[R-sig-ME] lme with ECLS

Roberts, Kyle kyler at mail.smu.edu
Thu Sep 4 22:31:00 CEST 2008

Friends,

I am running the ECLS dataset with lme (long story on why I couldn't use lmer; mostly political) and am having trouble.  Here's the model:

m.null<-lme(MATH~TIME, random=~TIME|CHILDID, ecls, na.action=na.omit, weights=varFixed(~C1_6SC0))

When I ran the model without the weighting variable, it converged in about a minute (~17000 kids on 4 measurement occasions). But with the weights the thing has been running for about 24 hours without coming to a solution.

Any ideas????

R 2.7.1
HP workstation with 4G RAM, Windows XP

Thanks,
Kyle

Dr. J. Kyle Roberts
Department of Literacy, Language, and Learning
School of Education and Human Development
Southern Methodist University
P.O. Box 750381
Dallas, TX  75275
214-768-4494