[R-sig-ME] understanding log-likelihood/model fit

John Maindonald John.Maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 21 02:51:22 CEST 2008

I find that a very insightful way to think about results from
Daniel's simulated data.  In the case of his null1 model,
failure to adjust for the fixed effect led to a large (huge
relative to the component in fixed1) between subjects
component of variance.  There was, then, a small penalty
for random subject effects whose distribution looked
nothing like normal, and the residuals looked remarkably
normal.  It is an extreme example of a case where the
residuals have scant diagnostic usefulness.

My concern with some of the Pinheiro and Bates plots is
that they look too soon at the residuals, before doing the
grosser checks that are needed that the model is half-way
correct, and that the points are not joined up a/c subject
or whatever, so that within subject systematic departures
from the model are not evident.  I seem to recall finding
an aberrant patient when I looked at the Dialyzer data
some considerable time ago, and/or an aberrant Orange
tree.  In a quick look, I was not immediately able to
recover the state of thinking that led me to this conclusion.
Irrespective of the application to these data, the point that
residuals are one part only of the relevant diagnostic
information, and may indeed not convey much at all of
the relevant information, stands.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.