[R-sig-ME] Variance explained by random factor

Renwick, A. R. a.renwick at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 17:17:48 CEST 2008

I am currently trying to run a lmer model with poisson distrubution.  I tested the model with a model without the random effect and it inferred that I should include the random effect:

ma1<-glm(RoundedOverlap~sess+breedfem,family=poisson,data=Male)
mixed<-lmer(RoundedOverlap~sess+breedfem+sess:breedfem+(1|Site),family=poisson,data=Male)

#test to see if sig difference between glm and glmm
as.numeric(2*(logLik(mixed)-logLik(ma)))
#99.16136
pchisq(99.16136,1,lower=FALSE)
#2.327441e-23  so should use a GLMM

However,the model output that I get states that the variance explained by the random factor is 0:

Generalized linear mixed model fit by the Laplace approximation
Formula: RoundedOverlap ~ sess + breedfem + sess:breedfem + (1 | Site)
   Data: Male
   AIC   BIC logLik deviance
 109.9 127.2 -45.93    91.86
Random effects:
 Groups Name        Variance Std.Dev.
 Site   (Intercept)  0        0
Number of obs: 51, groups: Site, 14

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me understand why the variance is 0.
Many thanks,
Anna

Anna Renwick
Zoology Building