[R-sig-ME] Mixed model with multiple response variables?

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 6 02:04:19 CEST 2008

Hi Gang,

I suggest that you ask yourself whether or not the correlation between
the response variables is of inferential interest in the subject
matter.

If not, then analyze them separately, correct for multiple tests
somehow, and check the correlation of the residuals.  If the residuals
are correlated then a more efficient estimate would be possible using
e.g. a relation to seemingly unrelated regression.  If the residuals
are uncorrelated then I think that you can keep the separate analyses.

If you want to try to model the correlations between the response
variables in an otherwise mixed-effects framework, some nice work was
done by Daniel Hall (U of Georgia) on forestry data, published in
Biometrics, if I recall correctly.  I also tried out some ideas in a
2004 article published in the Canadian Journal of Forest Research.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Robinson
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Tel: +61-3-8344-6410