[R-sig-ME] [R] lme4 : lmer : convergence problem and other errors

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 10 18:49:15 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Gillian Raab
<gillian.raab at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2008/7/8 <yufeng at nsm.umass.edu>:
>
>> Please see below:
>>
>> > 1) What version of lmer are you running? The new version post 23/6/08
>> copes
>> > with difficult likelihoods better.
>>
>> I used the most up-to-date version.

The description "most up-to-date" can become wrong very quickly.  It
is better to quote a version number.  Use

sessionInfo()

to get the version number.

>> > 2) Have you changed anything in the elements of the control parameter.
>> The
>> > pre 23/6 verion had several parameters and the later one fewer. In
>> > particular you can increase the iterations
>>
>> How could I increase the iterations?
>
> READ THE HELP FILE UNDER LMER AND THE CONTROL  PARAMETER

Well, actually, current versions of the help file should say that the
only control parameter recognized is msVerbose, which is the old way
of setting the "verbose" argument.  Martin Maechler has pointed out on
several occasions that I should allow the maximum number of iterations
to be reset (also, the maximum number of function evaluations) but I
haven't done that yet.

There is a horrible hack that can be used to provide a greater number
of iterations.  The arguments to the C function "mer_optimize" are an
mer object and a verbose flag.  If the model fit fails because the
optimizer has exceeded the number of iterations you can take the
returned object and feed it directly back into

.Call("mer_optimize", <failed_lmer_fit>, FALSE, PACKAGE = "lme4")

As I say, this is a horrible hack and I should make it possible to set
the maximum number of iterations in the call to lmer rather than doing
this.  However, doing so would involve creating the appropriate
argument names and defaults and my experience is that if this is done
hastily I end up regretting the resulting awkwardness.