[R-sig-ME] [R] lme4 : lmer : convergence problem and other errors

Robert Kushler kushler at oakland.edu
Tue Jul 8 19:17:34 CEST 2008

I'll add 2 cents worth here:  I have long advocated subtracting off a nice
round number near the middle of the range of x values, rather than using the
mean of the x values in the current data set.  This has a number of advantages,
including ease of interpretation and the ability of others to easily reproduce
the results and/or generate predicted values from the fitted model.  The same
argument applies to rescaling data by e.g. shifting the decimal point rather
than "standardizing" x.

Regards,    Rob Kushler