[R-sig-ME] F test vs. mcmcpvalue

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Jul 7 00:16:08 CEST 2008

      I haven't used 'mcmcpvalue', but I would naively expect that MCMC
should in most cases give better answers in violations of the standard
assumptions.  This is NOT necessarily the case, however, because it is
known that MCMC does not always converge to a unique answer.  For
example, with multimodal posteriors, sufficiently distinct modes may not
be adequately explored, leading possibly to inappropriate estimates of p
values.  In such cases, if there are no gross violations of the standard
assumptions, I would trust the F test more.

      Have you done normal probability plots and other plots of the
response variable, residuals, and random coefficients?  This might help
you identify gross violations of the standard assumptions.  It's
possible that removing an outlier might substantially reduce the
difference between your F tests and 'mcmcpvalue'.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer