[R-sig-ME] power calculations in mixed models

Mark Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 21:57:30 CEST 2008

One thing I forgot to mention.... We have a reasonable estimate of the
bounds of the biologic variance and have subtracted that out to get
the bounds of the technical variance. For estimation purposes, I am
assuming that the within sample replication variance will be the same
as the between sample technical variance. So for power calculations
the between sample fixed effects variance is the same as within-sample
random effects variance.

Mark