[R-sig-ME] lmeControl

Irene Mantzouni ima at aqua.dtu.dk
Tue Jun 3 17:49:25 CEST 2008

Dear all,

I have set up a linear mixed model:

A4.lme=lme(log.s.r~SSB,=random=list(FishStock=pdDiag(~SSB)))

using the nlme library.

When I try to make the error structure group specific using
weights=varIdent(form=~1|FishStock)

the model cannot converge using the default settings:

"nlminb problem, convergence error code = 1
  message = iteration limit reached without convergence (9)"

However, if I modify the maximum number of iterations in lmeControl
(both maxIter and msmaxIter are set to 500), then the model can indeed
converge.
The problem is then that I cannot get the confidence intervals for the
variance-covariance components, but this error message appears:
"Cannot get confidence intervals on var-cov components: Non-positive
definite approximate variance-covariance"

On the other hand, model comparison shows that the model with the
heterogenous variances is superior.
So, I am wondering if the lmeControl modification can invalidate the
model results and if I should use it at all.

(Please let me know if you need any more details about the model)

Thank you!