[R-sig-ME] Binomial GLMM vs GLM question

Justin Touchon jtouchon at bu.edu
Thu May 15 23:40:08 CEST 2008

Dear Dr. Bates and other LMER experts,
    I am admittedly entry level in my R and mixed-model knowledge, but
I'm hoping that someone can help me and also forgive my lack of
insight.  Over 3 years, I monitored survival of 350 egg masses at two
ponds.  I thus have one continuous variable (rainfall) and two discrete
variables (year and pond).  My response variable, mortality, is coded as
a two column matrix featuring eggs survived and eggs dead. I'm primarily
interested in the effect of rain on survival, but also if rain has
different impacts at the different ponds and how much survival varied
over the three years.  Originally, I though I could tackle this with a
binomial GLM, but do I need a binomial GLMM instead, as rainfall and
year would be random and pond fixed?  The problem with this is trying to
make biological sense out of the results.  I've spent the last week
reading all the past posts about why p-values can't be calculated and
all that, which I'm fine with.  But what can I say about the effects of
rainfall or year on egg survival from the variance estimates?  Also,
doesn't LMER require that random factors be normally distributed,
because my rainfall measurements are far from it.  Is that a problem?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
-Justin Touchon

My model and output are as follows:

 > LMER.1<-lmer(mort~Pond + (Pond|total_rainfall) + (1|Year),
family=binomial, data= FieldData0305)

 > summary(LMER.1)
Generalized linear mixed model fit using Laplace
Formula: mort ~ Pond + (Pond | total_rainfall) + (1 | Year)
   Data: FieldData0305
 Family: binomial(logit link)
  AIC  BIC logLik deviance
 7657 7680  -3822     7645
Random effects:
 Groups         Name           Variance Std.Dev. Corr
 total_rainfall (Intercept)    21.66535 4.65461
                Pond[T.Ocelot]  6.44297 2.53830  -0.627
 Year           (Intercept)     0.74082 0.86071
number of obs: 350, groups: total_rainfall, 48; Year, 3

Estimated scale (compare to  1 )  4.603433

Fixed effects:
               Estimate Std. Error z value Pr(>|z|)
(Intercept)     -0.4678     1.0173 -0.4598    0.646
Pond[T.Ocelot]  -0.9831     0.9330 -1.0538    0.292

Correlation of Fixed Effects:
            (Intr)
Pnd[T.Oclt] -0.648