[R-sig-ME] [R] lme nesting/interaction advice

Martin Henry H. Stevens HStevens at muohio.edu
Tue May 13 13:54:20 CEST 2008

Hi Rolf,
..
On May 12, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> [...]
>> interaction term you must, either explicitly or implicitly, specify
>> the form of the variance-covariance matrix associated with those
>> random effects.
>>
>> The "advantage" that other software may provide for you is that it
>> chooses the model for you but that, of course, means that you only
>> have the one choice.
>
>         Now may I start asking what I hope are questions that will
> lift
>         the fog a bit?
>
>         Let us for specificity consider a three-way model with two
>         fixed effects and one random effect from the good old
> Rothamstead style
>         agricultural experiment context:  Suppose we have a number of
>         species/breeds of wheat (say) and a number of fertilizers.
>         These are fixed effects.  And we have a number of fields
> (blocks)
>         --- a random effect.  Each breed-fertilizer combination is
>         applied a number of times in each field.  We ***assume*** that
>         that the field or block effect is homogeneous throughout.
> This
>         may or may not be a ``good'' assumption, but it's not
> completely
>         ridiculous and would often be made in practice.  And probably
>         *was* made at Rothamstead.  The response would be something
> like
>         yield in bushels per acre.
>
>         The way that I would write the ``full'' model for this
> setting,
>         in mathematical style is:
>
>         Y_ijkl = mu + alpha_i + beta_j + (alpha.beta)_ij + C_k +
> (alpha.C)_ik
>                      + (beta.C)_jk + (alpha.beta.C)_ijk + E_ijkl
>
>         The alpha_i and beta_j are parameters corresponding to
> breed and
> fertilizer
>         respectively; the C_k are random effects corresponding to
> fields or
> blocks.
>         Any effect ``involving'' C is also random.
>
>         The assumptions made by the Package-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named
> are (I
> think)
>         that
>
>                 C_k ~ N(0,sigma_C^2)
>                 (alpha.C)_ik ~ N(0,sigma_aC^2)
>                 (beta.C)jk ~ N(0,sigma_bC^2)
>                 (alpha.beta.C)_ijk ~ N(0,sigma_abC^2)
>                 E_ijkl ~ N(0,sigma^2)
>
>         and these random variables are *all independent*.
>
>         Ahhhhhhhh ... perhaps I'm on the way to answering my own
> question.  Is
>         it this assumption of ``all independent'' which is
> questionable?  It
>         seemed innocent enough when I first learned about this
> stuff, lo these
>         many years ago.  But .... mmmmmaybe not!
>
>         To start with:  What would be the lmer syntax to fit the
> foregoing
>         (possibly naive) model?  I am sorry, but I really cannot
> get my head
>         around the syntax of lmer model specification, and I've tried.
Did you answer your own question, (or what am I missing something):
Y ~ a*b +(1|C) + (1|aC) + (1|bC) + (1|abC)  plus of course epsilon.ijkl

Regarding interdependence - yikes. I don't even know what that would
mean. In part, it seems that would mean non-zero variance components
for  (1|aC), (1|bC), and (1|abC). Beyond that, and beyond simple
heterogenous variances, I am even more lost.

Hank
>         really have.  Hard.  I know I must be starting from the
> wrong place,
>         but I haven't a clue as to what the *right* place to start
> from is.
>         And if I'm in that boat, I will wager Euros to pretzels
> that there
>         are others in it.  I know that I'm not the brightest bulb
> in the
>         chandelier, but I'm not the dullest either.
>
>         Having got there:  Presuming that I'm more-or-less on the
> right track
>         in my foregoing conjecture that it's the over-simple
> dependence
> structure
>         that is the problem with what's delivered by the Package-
> Which-Must-
> Not-Be-Named,
>         how might one go about being less simple-minded?  I.e. what
> might be
> some
>         more realistic dependence structures, and how would one
> specify
> these in lmer?
>         And how would one assess whether the assumed dependence
> structure gives
>         a reasonable fit to the data?
>
>> If you can describe how many variance components you think should be
>> estimated in your model and what they would represent then I think it
>> will be easier to describe how to fit the model.
>
>         How does this fit in with my conjecture (above) about what
> I've been
>         missing all these years?  Does it fit?  How many variance
> components
>         are there in the ``naive'' model?  It looks like 5 to
> me ... but maybe
>         I'm totally out to lunch in what I think I'm understanding
> at this
> stage.
>         (And besides --- there are three sorts of statistician;
> those who
> can count,
>         and those who can't.)
>
>         Thank you for your indulgence.
>
>                  cheers,
>
>                         Rolf Turner

> guide.html

Dr. Hank Stevens, Associate Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.users.muohio.edu/harkesae/
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/ecology
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/
"E Pluribus Unum"

                                             (Douglas Adams)

If you send an attachment, please try to send it in a format anyone
can read, such as PDF, text, Open Document Format, HTML, or RTF.