[R-sig-ME] mixed-effects model specification question

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Wed May 7 06:26:10 CEST 2008

Mark,

If you have just 3 observations per rat (and 2 missing values, judging
by the reported sample size), that implies 1 observation within a
tissue sample within a rat.  So, unless I'm missing something, the
residual variance and tissue-in-rat variance are confounded and there
are not sufficient degrees of freedom to estimate both.  What does the
output of "intervals(myModel)" report?  I'm guessing you'll get an
error about a non-positive-definite covariance matrix or a CI for a
variance component that is essentially +/-Inf.  Even if the experiment
were conducted perfectly and you could ignore effects such as those
brought up by Antonio, you are trying to fit a model that is too
complex for the available data.

Kingsford Jones