[R-sig-ME] mixed-effects model specification question

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 6 22:19:00 CEST 2008

Mark,

You should talk to a local statistician about this, but I think that
you can probably average across the measurements within each rat, if
all you are interested in is a treatment effect.  For the analysis of
treatment the relevant unit of replication should be the rat, in any
case.

(Does anyone have any thoughts on why that might be a bad idea?)

Also if I understand your design, there are three batches per rat.  I
suspect that using Rat/Tissue would lead to an over-parametrized
model, if my interpretation is correct.  My guess is that Rat should
be adequate.

Final points

1) My speculations would be better-informed if you showed us the
   output of the model that you proposed - fyi :) .

2) You could try all three configurations and see if it makes any
   difference to the inference of interest.  I suspect that it will
   not.

I hope that this helps,

Andrew