[R-sig-ME] mcmcsamp(lme4) & mcsamp(arm) & HPDinterval(coda): 2 questions

Marco Demont demont at access.uzh.ch
Thu Apr 24 15:42:17 CEST 2008

Dear lme4 users,

I want to generate a sample from the posterior distribution of the
parameters of my fitted mixed model using the mcmcsamp function (lme4
Package). Additionally, I would also like to create 95% highest posterior
density (HPD) intervals for the parameters in the MCMC sample (maybe with
the HPDinterval function from the coda Package?).

For that purpose I got two questions:

Question 1:
How can I adjust or change the number of chains, the thinning interval and
the burn-in for the mcmcsamp function (lme4 Package)?

Question 2:
I did this (e.g. change number of chains, thinning interval, etc) in the
mcsamp function (arm Package) (mcsamp relies on mcmcsamp). mcsamp creates an
object of class “bugs”. How can I get 95% highest posterior density (HPD)
intervals for this “bugs” object?

To summarize my problem: in my first approach (Question 1) I’m able to
create HPD intervals, but NOT to change number of chains, thinning interval
etc; in my second approach (Question 2) I’m able to change number of chains,
thinning interval etc, but NOT to create HPD intervals.

Would be nice if somebody could help!

Sincerely,
Marco

Marco Demont