[R-sig-ME] Distributional assumptions + case studies (was: Random or Fixed effects appropriate?)

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Apr 10 00:06:10 CEST 2008

Hi Reinhold,

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 05:45:54PM +0200, Reinhold Kliegl wrote:
> I think this is a reasonable summary.
>
> You were not clear on how you plan to use the conditional modes (i.e.,
> your point 1).  Please keep in mind that conditional modes are not
> independent "observations" like a group mean or within-group effect or
> slope, simply because shrinkage correction uses all data. Also, for
> example, their correlations (i.e., between intercept and x for units
> of C) are typically not identical to the estimated model correlations
> displayed in the random-effects part (see also the Bates quote in my
> last comment).
>
> In analyses of reaction times (using subjects and items as crossed
> random factors; carried out with Mike Masson and Eike Richter, 2007),
> model-based estimates of correlations among random effects revealed
> "clearer" patterns than the correlations between means and effects
> computed for each subject (as they should, given that they were
> corrected for unreliability). Unlike for fixed-effects estimates,
> however, estimates of correlations among random effects were quite
> susceptible to violations of distributional assumptions for the
> residuals--up to a change in the sign of the correlation!

This is a very interesting observation, and one that I suspect should
not be buried in an email.  Can you tell us more about it?  In my
workshops, I spend a lot of time focusing on the use of diagnostics to
check distributional assumptions.  It would be fabulous to be able to
identify a case study in which getting the distributional assumptions
was so clearly important.

More generally, I wonder if it might be worth collecting such a set of
case studies with clear and thorough analyses and wrapping them in a
document.  It seems to me that it would answer the request made by
Iasonas Lamprianou recently.

I'd be happy to coordinate such an effort, so long as the
contributions were in LaTeX and Sweave.  I know my students would
benefit from it :)

Is there any interest in such an idea, from potential conributors or
(equally importantly) potential users?

Cheers

Andrew