[R-sig-ME] Random or Fixed effects appropriate?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 9 00:49:46 CEST 2008

On 4/8/08, Reinhold Kliegl <reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>

>  >  > >  lmer( y ~ x + (1|A) + (1|B) + (1|C) + (1|D) + C + x:C) #error:
>  >  > >  Downdated X'X is not positive definite, 82
>  >  > You cannot include C both as a random and a fixed effect
>  >
>  >
>  >  I do not believe that this is generally true.  See, for example,
>  >
>  >  > require(lme4)
>  >  > (fm1 <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + Subject + (Days|Subject),  sleepstudy))
>  >
>  >  Therefore I am uncertain as to how you can draw this conclusion
>  >  without more information about the design (which the poster really
>  >  should have provided).
>
> I stand corrected. I thought this would force the between-subject
>  variance to zero. So what does the (substantially reduced)
>  between-subjects variance estimated in this model refer to? I noticed
>  that the residual variance stayed the same.

I would regard that result as a numerical accident rather than a
matter of design.  I don't think the same factor A should be present
in both the fixed effects and as a random effect of the form (1|A).
The same factor can be involved in the fixed effects and the random
effects as, for example, the factor Machine in the Machines  data (in
the MEMSS package) for models of the form

lmer(score ~ Machine + (1|Worker/Machine), Machines)

In those cases the role of Machine is different in the fixed effects
and in the random effects.

(Sorry Andrew but I think you are wrong on this one.  As always I am
willing to be convinced otherwise.)