[R-sig-ME] random effects specification

Reinhold Kliegl reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:31:08 CEST 2008

Looking at your data, the lmer tells you very nicely the pattern of
means shown in your plot:

> (n.lmerA)
Linear mixed model fit by REML
Formula: n ~ treatment + (1 | id)
   Data: dta
 Subset: community == "A"
    AIC    BIC logLik deviance REMLdev
 -181.7 -164.9  96.83   -218.5  -193.7
Random effects:
 Groups   Name        Variance   Std.Dev.
          (Intercept) 5.5211e-13 7.4304e-07
 Residual             9.8079e-03 9.9035e-02
Number of obs: 120, groups: id, 30

Fixed effects:
            Estimate Std. Error t value
(Intercept) 18.78058    0.01808  1038.7
treatmentb   0.33300    0.02557    13.0
treatmentc   0.01150    0.02557     0.4
treatmentd   0.32939    0.02557    12.9

Treatment b is significanlty higher, c is at the same level, and d is
again significantly higher than treatment a. (With t-values of 13 we
may say that even without HPD intervals.)

The same is true for community B, except that here treatment b and d
are significantly lower than a and that what the estimates tell you.
If you learn how to combine estimates, you can derive the pattern of
means directly from your first analyses.

Reinhold