[R-sig-ME] Fwd: same old question - lme4 and p-values

Robert Kushler kushler at oakland.edu
Sat Apr 5 17:21:36 CEST 2008

For a one-sided situation, the posterior probability that
the parameter is on the wrong side of zero makes a lot of
sense.  (Ironically, the classic mistake of interpreting
a p-value as a probability statement about the parameter
is correct here!)

The two-sided case seems more challenging.  The posterior
probability content of an "indifference zone" around zero
can be computed, but it's easy to play games by carefully
picking the width of the zone.  A graph of the probability
against the width of the zone could be a useful exploratory
tool, but would take up a lot of space if used in reporting
results.

Regards,   Rob Kushler