[R-sig-ME] Coefficient of determination (R^2) when using lme()

Roberts, Kyle kyler at mail.smu.edu
Tue Apr 1 22:21:28 CEST 2008

My $0.02.

Gelman also has an excellent article, but he uses Bayes to estimate explained variance, so it may not be as straightforward as other methods.

[2006] Bayesian measures of explained variance and pooling in multilevel (hierarchical) models. Technometrics, 48(2), 241--251. (Andrew Gelman and Iain Pardoe)

I personally am not a fan of simply correlating the fitted values with the raw scores. The problem, as I see it, is that you ran the multilevel model because you wanted to honor the nesting structure (for any number of reasons). I see doing this almost like when people run ANOVAs as a post hoc for a MANOVA. If your analysis is multilevel, then produce a statistic for understanding explained variance that is also multilevel. By the way, I have come full circle on this. I used to think that we needed a single metric to tell us about explained variance in a model (see http://www.hlm-online.com/papers/). Now, I'm not so sure.

One other problem is that unlike the OLS counterpart, in multilevel analysis you can actually ADD variance to your model through the addition of covariates/predictors. This is often a sign of model misspecification, but it can also occur when the model is correctly specified (and no, group mean centering won't always fix this problem). If you do a search on the multilevel listserv, you can see this discussed in length in multiple threads. You can also see a discussion of this in Snijders & Bosker (1999, p. 99-109)

Hope this helps,
Kyle

Dr. J. Kyle Roberts
Department of Literacy, Language and Learning
School of Education and Human Development
Southern Methodist University
P.O. Box 750381
Dallas, TX  75275
214-768-4494