[R-sig-ME] New alpha version of lme4 code on R-forge

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 27 14:17:59 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Dan Wright <danw at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Professor Bates,

>  Thank you for this! I have some questions that I assume others on the list
>  are interested in. You mentioned in one message that you are working on a
>  book. What is it on? When out? Is it appropriate to cite when using lme4?

Thanks for the inquiry.  The working title of the book is "Multilevel
modeling in R" although that may change before publication.  It is on
the practice of using the lme4 package to fit and analyze
mixed-effects models, including linear mixed models, generalized
linear mixed models, nonlinear mixed models and generalized nonlinear
mixed models.  I emphasize graphical displays of the data and aspects
of the fitted models and inferences based on MCMC samples from the
posterior distribution of the model parameters.  The statistical
theory and computational methods for fitting and analyzing the models
are also described in detail.

I have given up on issuing predictions of when the book will be
available.  "Not soon" is about the best I can say.  There is a lot of
writing still to be done.  Thanks for the suggestion of citing the
book when using lme4 but that would be premature.