[R-sig-ME] Yet another question about model specification and interpretation

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 16 14:09:32 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Martin Eklund
<martin.eklund at farmbio.uu.se> wrote:

>  [snip]

>  > Take a look at the deviances of the three models.  To do a safer
>  > comparison it would be better to refit all three models with method =
>  > "ML" before comparing values like AIC and BIC but you can notice that
>  > the deviance (both ML and REML) and the AIC and BIC of models (ii) and
>  > (iii) are essentially identical, which is as it should be because the
>  > only differences are in the parameterization of the random effects.
>  > However, model (i), which has an additional parameter compared to
>  > models (ii) and (iii), gives higher AIC, BIC and deviances.  This is a
>  > sign that something is going wrong in that model.
>
>  Yes, I do understand that something goes wrong in the model lmer
>  (score ~ Machine + (1 | Worker) + (0 + Machine | Worker)). Indeed the
>  fit is better for the models lmer(score ~ Machine + (0 + Machine |
>  Worker)) and lmer(score ~ Machine + (Machine | Worker)), which
>  naturally are just reparametrizations of one another and therefore
>  produce similar deviances, AICs, and BICs. However, if I do want an
>  estimate of the Machine, the Worker and all interaction effects, how
>  would I in a correct way specify such a model? I'm not really after
>  the best model here, I'm just trying to understand and learn how to
>  do things in lme4.
>
>  Do I understand the model lmer(score ~ Machine + (0 + Machine |
>  Worker)) correctly when I say that we don't get an estimate of the
>  random effect of Worker, only estimates of the random interaction
>  effect between Worker and Machine? If so, how can I get an estimate
>  of the random Worker effect at the same time as estimating all the
>  random interaction effects? If not, how do I from the output from lmer
>  (score ~ Machine + (0 + Machine | Worker)) (see below) determine the
>  random Worker effect?

I'm not sure if we have discussed it in this thread but there is
another model specification that may make more sense to you

lmer(score ~ Machine + (1|Worker) + (1|Worker:Machine), Machines)

or, equivalently,

lmer(score ~ Machine + (1|Worker/Machine), Machines)

This model allows for an additive random effect per worker and for an
additive random effect for the Worker:Machine interaction.  It differs
from the models described earlier in the form of the
variance-covariance matrix for the interaction terms.  In this model
the interaction terms have constant variance and are independent.  In
the previous models the effects for each Worker-Machine combination
are allowed to be correlated within worker.