[R-sig-ME] Fitted values in lmer

Andy Fugard a.fugard at ed.ac.uk
Fri Mar 14 16:47:35 CET 2008

Thanks, rownames(mod at frame) gives indices I can use.  The following
fitted.na code does the right sort of thing, but relies on the length of
the original vector of outcomes (so I use the whole vector in the output
anyway).  And it uses set differencing and merging, which might not be
most computational efficient way to do things.  Any other suggestions
for a way to do this gratefully received...

fitted.na = function(origvec,mod) {
   hits = as.numeric(rownames(mod at frame))
   misses = setdiff(1:length(origvec), hits)
   fits  = fitted(mod)
   d.hits   = data.frame(i = hits
                        ,fits = fitted(mod))
   d.misses = data.frame(i = misses
                        ,fits = rep(NA, length(misses)))
   res = merge(d.hits, d.misses, all.x = T, all.y=T)
   res$y = origvec
   res
}

# For instance, try adding missing data to the sleepstudy

breakit = function(x,p) {
   breakv = sample(c(NA,0), length(x), T, prob = c(p,1-p))
   x + breakv
}

sleep2 = sleepstudy
sleep2$Reaction = breakit(sleepstudy$Reaction,0.1)

mod = lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (1|Subject) + (0+Days|Subject),
            data = sleep2)

fitted.na(sleep2$Reaction, mod)

Andy

--
Andy Fugard, Postgraduate Research Student
Psychology (Room F3), The University of Edinburgh,