[R-sig-ME] lme4 versus nlme

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Mar 13 20:02:18 CET 2008

Kevin:

lmer is a bit more general, and a heck of a lot faster. The nlme
function is designed for cases where there is a strict nesting structure
to the data. You can code for situations in which there are crossed
random effects, but it is clunky and slooooooow. lmer, on the other
hand, is specifically optimized for fully crossed or partially crossed
data and is very fast. It also works for data that are strictly nested.

There are some vignettes in the lme4 package that you can read to see
examples of how to use the lmer function. There are also some nifty
functions that go along with lmer that do not exists for nlme like
mcmcsamp.

Harold