[R-sig-ME] one question about "loess"

Zhong, Xiao xiaozh at WPI.EDU
Wed Feb 20 18:54:01 CET 2008

Dear all,

I tried to use "loess" to fit some longitudinal data as:

loess.fit<-by(mcas5.square.one.knot,mcas5.square.one.knot$skills,function(x) loess(response~month_elapsed,data=x,span=1,degree=1))

Then I tried to draw the loess fitting lines for each "skill". But for the FIRST "skill", I got the following error message as:

> time<-(260:800)/100
> xx<-seq(min(time),max(time),0.1)
> yy<-predict(loess.fit[[1]],data.frame(time=xx))
Error in predict(loess.fit[[1]], data.frame(time = xx)) :
        no applicable method for "predict"
> yy2<-predict(loess.fit.qua[[1]],data.frame(time=xx))
Error in predict(loess.fit.qua[[1]], data.frame(time = xx)) :
        no applicable method for "predict"

Actually, I can still get the loess curve corresponding to this skill, but I don't know if I can trust it... Could any of you please give me a clue of what's the problem of my code?

Thanks very much,

Xiao