[R-sig-ME] New alpha release of lme4 available on R-forge

Austin Frank austin.frank at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 00:53:44 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 30 2008, Douglas Bates wrote:

> - The effect of the link function and the variance function in the
> family argument have been separated.  Families beyond the binomial and
> poisson are now allowed although I would advise caution.  I need to do
> some more research on whether a common scale parameter changes the
> calculation of the deviance.  (Feature request #81).

Dr. Bates--

Reading through the feature request and your response to it, I was not
quite clear on how to interpret this message.  Above you say "families
beyond the binomial and poisson are now allowed...".  Does this mean
that you've added the families and linking functions that were in the
previous version of lme4 (gamma, etc.), or that any family may be used?

Unsurprisingly, I'm wondering whether the above change will enable me to
model a multinomial dependent variable using glmer.  Is this now
possible?

Thanks for your help,
/au

--