[R-sig-ME] A glmm prediction problem

David Hinds David_Hinds at perlegen.com
Thu Jan 31 00:56:52 CET 2008

A couple clarifications:

- It is a little bit of a digression, but for the data I'm looking at,
there really are no fixed effects and the population mean probability of
success is just 0.5: any deviation from that belongs in a random effect.
I can't fit that model directly, so you're right, I do end up with an
estimate for a fixed intercept term, which is always very close to zero.
For many purposes it can be ignored, because it accounts for so little
variance compared to the fitted random effects.

(the data consists of experimental estimates of the proportion of each
allele at genetic markers where an individual is known to have an "AB"
genotype, so we know with certainty that the underlying ratio is 1:1.
I'm using random effects to model sources of variance in the experiment
that cause overdispersion in the observed ratios.)

- Using your terminology, I want to make predictions for y values for a
previously unseen field (new value of 'a').  I will essentially always
have data for two seed pods (two values of 'c'), and may have several
values of 'b' available, but often just one.

I was thinking to get a likelihood for a new set of y/a/b/c values by
numerically integrating p(random effects)*p(y|random effects) over the
fitted multivariate normal distribution of random effects.  I could
estimate marginal distributions for the individual random effects at the
same time.  This seems manageable for the important case of one new
field, one plant, two pods (integrating over 4 random effects) but gets
out of hand when there are multiple plants.

Alternatively it seems that 'lmer' should be able to do the work for me
if I could prespecify a model.  I found a hint on how to lock down the
random effects from an archived posting on this list (via the start= and
control= parameters) but the intercept would be a problem.

-- Dave