[R-sig-ME] a problem with lme4_0.999375-0?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 17 19:02:38 CET 2008

Thanks again for spotting that problem, Vito.  Because of the need for
generality, the C code in the mer_postVar function ends up being
fairly involved.  Once I traced through the example, however, I could
readily spot that I was running a loop over the levels of each of the
grouping factors but I wasn't using that loop index to change the
input values. Therefore, the result was exactly what you observed,
those values all ended up corresponding to the results for the first
level of the grouping factor.

Do the results in the enclosed file look like what you expect? I
rewrote the code that you sent because I found some aspects of that
code to be rather frightening.  (Is that code directly from the book?)

I will commit the changes to the SVN archive on R-forge by this
evening (North American time).  I have been tearing apart my code
again and right now I have lmer and glmer running but nlmer is having
problems.  I'll close out the bug report after I commit the changes.