[R-sig-ME] testing fixed effects in binomial lmer...again?

Ken Beath kjbeath at kagi.com
Mon Jan 14 00:47:56 CET 2008

On 09/01/2008, at 10:45 AM, Reinhold Kliegl wrote:

> Not sure it applies exactly to the cases discussed so far here, but
> there is
> analytical and simulation evidence against using BLUP-based
> residuals of
> mixed models for bootstrapping. See:Morris, J.S. (2002). The BLUPs
> are not
> "best" when it comes to bootstrapping.
> Statistics & Probability Letters 56, 425-450.
>
> A PDF is available on his website.
>
> Reinhold

A solution to this problem is

Carpenter, JR; Goldstein, H; Rasbash, J "A novel bootstrap procedure
for assessing the relationship between class size and achievement",
JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY SERIES C-APPLIED STATISTICS,
52: 431-443 Part 4 2003

but I expect that parametric bootstrapping is enough for most problems.

Ken