[R-sig-ME] Development version of lme4 now passes its tests

Austin Frank austin.frank at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 23:50:23 CET 2008

Dr. Bates--

Hello!  Happy New Year!

> This version of glmer allows the quasibinomial and quasipoisson
> families.  I plan to add the Gamma family soon.  Are there any other
> important families that I have missed?

I've asked on this list before[1], but since you've raised the issue
again, would it be possible to model a dependent variable drawn from a
multinomial distribution?  I've seen the relevant link function called
the "generalized logit".  That function and its log likelihood are
described at [2] and [3].

While the multinomial case is the one I'm most eager to see implemented
the, but there are related functions that could be considered.  Also
useful would be the generalized probit linking function ([4]) for
polychotomous choices, and the cumulative logit and probit linking
functions ([5]) for ordinal multinomial responses.

Thanks for considering these requests!
/au

Footnotes:
[1]  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.lme4.devel/230