[R-sig-ME] [R] coef se in lme

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Oct 18 15:19:49 CEST 2007

I'm particularly interested in this, so I'll bite. Let me start with
something very basic and build up later as I think more about this.

Assume we have a model such as

Y_ij = \mu + a_i + e_ij \quad a_i \sim N(0, s^2), e_ij \sim N(0, r^2)

In this basic model, we also assume the variance components are
orthogonal, denoted e_ij \bot a_i

Now, from ranef() I get the estimate of a for all i (what Doug calls the
conditional modes) and, also using the postVar argument in this
extractor function I get variances of these conditional modes.

Now, vcov() would return the variance for the fixed parameter \mu.

Given that we can find the variances for each term in the model, and
that they are assumed orthogonal, why is it that we can't simply take
the variance of a linear combination?

For example, if I want to find:

\hat{y}_ij = \mu + a_i

Then the variance of this would be simply

Var(\hat{y}_ij) = var(\mu) + var(a_i)

And in this case there is no covariance given e_ij \bot a_i, right?

Even if this scenario is too simplistic, I assume I can use a taylor
series expansion to derive something that gives me an estimate of the
variance of \hat{y}_ij in closed form that is pretty close, no?

OK, I'm ready for my lashing.

Harold