[R-sig-ME] Underdispersion in multilevel logistic regression

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 10 21:23:06 CEST 2007

You have a variance component for ClusterID that is being estimated as
"effectively zero".  You should refit the model with that random
effects term removed and check the estimated scale for the modified
model.

I don't have good guidelines for under- or over-dispersion.  When the
estimated scale is < 0.75 I get concerned and when it is < 0.5 I get
very concerned but I don't know if those are reasonable comparison
values or not.