[R-sig-ME] magnitude of random effect vs significance

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Sep 6 11:51:56 CEST 2007

Mike Dunbar wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> Just to check I'm understanding you: So in the generic case where you have a nesting say A/B/C/D, if you want to test by removal of any factor that isn't the lowest in the hierarchy then you have to re-label that factor as including the levels of the next lowest factor. So for example testing by removing A, you must recode B as interaction(A,B) and test that against the full model. If so then I already understood this in the case of POLE and TRANSECT, I'd just forgotten it for the higher level factors.

Yes. Or put differently, using aov-like terms: If you remove A from A/B
you don't get B but A:B, because A/B==A+A:B by definition.

    -p

(BTW. "Higher" and "lower" for model terms is a bit ambiguous. With your
convention, higher-order interactions describe lower-level terms. I
prefer "coarser" and "finer" as I was taught by Tue Tjur many years ago. )