[R-sig-ME] Sample size estimation

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Jun 28 14:46:55 CEST 2007

The steps are pretty straightforward if you choose simulation.

1) Simulate data for a sample size s that meets your assumptions (e.g.,
effect size, variances, etc) based on the generating model
2) Run these data through lmer N times
3) Save the p-value at each iteration for the effect of interest in step
2. Save this as a dichotomous variable where 1 means p < .05
4) Compute the mean of the dichotomous variable in step 3. This is your
power at sample size s.
5) Repeat with a new sample size s.

With lmer, you don't get p-values. So, what I do is divide the fixed
effects by their standard errors to get the t-value and compare it to
the critical value associated with my level of significance desired.

You might find Gelman and Hill's book on multilevel models and a paper
you can google called "R as a tool for mathematical statistics" useful
since they both have the process and examples presented.

Harold