[R-sig-ME] lsmeans

Kevin Wright kw.statr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 10:42:05 CEST 2007

As a statistician, I need to be careful to fit a good model to data.
"Good" can have varied meanings from "it didn't crash" to "it
completed in a tolerable amount of time" to "the variance parameters
look like what I was expecting to see" to many other criteria.
Modeling the data well can be very time-consuming, especially for
complicated data, and almost always involves finding a balance between
writing down a theoretical model and finding a model that is useful,
meaningful, and calculable.

My clients, however, don't care a whit about models.  They care about
making decisions, and the second part of my job after fitting a model
is to provide information to facilitate decision making.  The client
might say, " I have three treatments.  I don't care about significant
differences.  I have to pick one of the three, which one is my best
choice?"  Often that means providing some type of overall estimate of
the treatment effects and standard errors.  There is a nice paper that
discusses some of the art of making predictions:

@Article{Welham2004,
  author =       {Sue Welham and Brian Cullis and Beverley Gogel and Arthur
                  Gilmour and Robin Thompson},
  title =        {Predictions in Linear Mixed Models},
  journal =      {Aust. N. Z. J. Stat.},
  year =         2004,
  pages =        {325--347}
}

I called it an art, because as Doug mentioned, you have to be very
careful about what you mean by an "lsmean" or any other type of
prediction.  For example, here are three ways (not necessarily for
identical models) to calculate one particular estimate:

In PROC MIXED:
estimate "Trt1 BLUP narrow" intercept 3 |trt 3 0 0 0 0
                    loc*trt 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0/divisor=3;

In ASREML:
predict trt  !average loc*trt  # Narrow inference space predictions

In lme
coefs=unlist(ranef(m1=lme(y ~ trt, random=~loc))
coefs[1:5]+c(mean(coefs[c(6,11,16)]),
                mean(coefs[c(7,12,17)]),
                mean(coefs[c(8,13,18)]),
                mean(coefs[c(9,14,19)]),
                mean(coefs[c(10,15,20)])) + mean(dat$y)

These three methods have pros and cons.  Extracting the right
coefficients in MIXED and lme can be excruciatingly tedious (even for
simple models), but a good rite of passage to force you to think about
what you are doing.  After learning that, ASREML provides a cleaner
method (as does PROC GLIMMIX, I believe).

It behooves decision makers to remember that the the theoretical and
computational aspects of mixed models are quite complex.  It behooves
the software developers to help people fit models and then help them
make decisions.

K Wright