[R-sig-ME] comparing mixed models that share some factors

Seyed Reza Jafarzadeh srjafarzadeh at gmail.com
Wed May 9 03:12:48 CEST 2007

Hi,

anova(model1, model2) will allow you to compare models with the same
fixed effects, but different specifications of random effects. For
comparing two non-nested models (like your case) you can use AIC or
BIC. Here is a good paper
(http://www.mpi.nl/world/persons/private/baayen/publications/baayenDavidsonBates.pdf)

Reza