[R-sig-ME] BLUP in lmer

Chaudhari, Monica mchaudhari at deltadentalwa.com
Fri Mar 23 20:11:57 CET 2007

To see how well the model has accomplished, would it be wrong to observe
the following:
1) response residuals to be close to zero by computing [model at y -
exp(fitted(model))] assuming the link is a log function. Can this not
help in at least identifying the outliers...those that lie far from 0?
2) Since the GLMMs are linear in their link function, can we get close
to assessing the linearity by:
	* first,  computing the means in each of the categories defined
by predictors (assuming the predictors are categorical variables)
	* second, assigning that mean to each of the observations that
fall in the category defined by the set of predictors.
	* third, wrapping the link function around the mean. Example,
log(mu)
	* lastly, computing log(mu)-fitted(model) to give link
residuals.
	* plotting link residuals against fitted(model) should give a
linear pattern with constant variance (sigma2_b + segma2_e).
Any insight on this would be very much appreciated.

Also, is there any way to assess the dispersion parameter in negative
binomial family before giving it in lmer for GLMM? Presently, I am using
the dispersion parameter estimate computed from glm.nb with random
effects of GLMM as fixed effects with treatment contrasts. However, I
suspect it to be biased due to no structural information taken in
account, which leaves lot of variation uncaptured by the model. Can you
please suggest any nicer way?

Last question, would it make any sense to use predictors with sum
contrast in GLMs when the link function is log, if I want to know how
much the effect of each of the categories of a predictor is away from
the overall average?

Thanks in advance,
Monica