[R-sig-ME] Crossed random effects

Kevin Wright kw.statr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 22:39:53 CET 2007

Thanks for the clarification.  It is no secret that large
plant-breeding programs (both corporate and governmental--see
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/113474/annual_report_part_3.pdf)
have adopted ASREML, probably due to the "war stories" with crossed
random effects that you mention.  I have heard several people say that
ASREML is often orders of magnitude (100-1000) times better than SAS
for handling large datasets with crossed random effects.  My limited
experience suggests ASREML/Genstat/SAMM and lme4 are in the same
order-of-magnitude performance-wise.

P.S.  I offer sincere appreciation for the "Mixed-effects modeling
with crossed random effects for subjects and items" paper,
particularly the MCMC approach and the corresponding interpretations
and discussions.  Very nice.

K Wright