[R-sig-ME] models with fixed effets nested in random effects

Hallstrom, Wayne (Calgary) Wayne.Hallstrom at WorleyParsons.com
Mon Mar 5 20:10:16 CET 2007

Hi Andrew,

The reason I did not include year in the random effects part of the
model was since in terms of the actual data those are the individual
observations. Putting year into the model made the groups messed up. The
model statement "FenceEnd/FEsection/MIT_UNMIT" thus had the proper
number of groups to match the physical chatacteristics of the design
setup,
[number of obs: 1230, groups: MIT_UNMIT:(FEsection:FenceEnd), 93;
FEsection:FenceEnd, 58; FenceEnd, 7]
and then there are the count data from each year within each of these
groups.  It made sense to me when I was writing the formula but maybe
this is not right?
As well, I have the treatment effects in the random part of the formula
since without doing this there would not be the proper structure to fit
the data, and would I not then have pseudoreplication? It is not
entirely clear to me what should be done with fixed/random effects in
this case where the treatmetn effects need to be used to define the
grouping of the data. Maybe as you say I could define a new variable
with the same characterisitces as 'FEsection' and 'MIT_UNMIT' in order
to have one for the random section to account for data structure, and
another in the fixed section to account for the fixed effects. Wouldn't
that just produce the same results by a different name?

In terms of the study layout:
-Parts of the highway were fenced at different intervals
(treatment=MIT_UNMIT), creating fence ends (location=FenceEnd).
Subsequent fencing extended the fence, removing some fence ends but
creating new ends. Generally, fence ends are far apart from the previous
fence end since most phases of fencing are ~20km long.
-roadkill count data were collected, and summed on a yearly basis
(year).
-roadkill location data were then processed and categorized by UTM
coordinates into five 1km segments inside each fence end and five 1km
segments outdside, centered on the fence end (subsite=FEsection). This
sort of like having 10 different levels of the 2 treatments at each
fence end. The treatment effects being accounted for by the MIT_UNMIT
variable that defines whether the sample had fencing or not, and the
FEsection variable defining how far from the fence end the mortalities
occurred. Of course there could be many ways to look at this, I tried to
keep things as simple as possible. Feel free to make suggestions if you
can think of alternatives...

A variety of models were fit to the data with the intention of
determining how fencing affected the distribution of mortality at a
fence end. Questions asked were - Does mitigation cause a shift in
mortality locations to the unfenced area beyond the fence end (segments
1-5->outside versus 6-10->inside)? This would imply the fence end should
perhaps be relocated elsewhere. Is there a notable difference in
mortality among the segments inside and the segments outside the fence
end? Higher mortality inside the fence could show whether animals are
getting inside at the fence end and then being killed, in which case
deterrents to keep them out and mitigations to allow trapped animals to
escape should be considered. If there is a concentration of mortality in
the 1km FEsections nearest the fence end this would support the idea
that substantial numbers of animals are rounding the fence end and being
killed at that location, implying the fence is not located properly
relative to animal migrations in the area and needs to be extended,
and/or perhaps more crossing structures are needed. Mainly elk are the
animal killed in this area.

The model I pasted into the last email was best of the the 3 best-fit
models. The others were similar in structure but with different form,
such as:
  u0 <- lmer(ung ~ 1 + (1|FenceEnd/FEsection/MIT_UNMIT),
family=quasipoisson(link ="log")
  u01<- lmer(ung ~ year + (1|FenceEnd/FEsection/MIT_UNMIT),
family=quasipoisson(link ="log")
  u1 <- lmer(ung ~ FEsection + (1|FenceEnd/FEsection/MIT_UNMIT),
family=quasipoisson(link ="log"))
  u2 <- lmer(ung ~ MIT_UNMIT + (1|FenceEnd/FEsection/MIT_UNMIT),
family=quasipoisson(link ="log"))
	.
	.
	.
  u5 <- lmer(ung ~ FEsection + MIT_UNMIT +
(1|FenceEnd/FEsection/MIT_UNMIT), family=quasipoisson(link ="log"))

Anyway I really appreciate the help since it is a new and confusing
issue to me. This is for some work I do on my own time, with data from a
pproject I worked on in the past. The data are for one of the larger
highway wildlife fencing studies out there, and since roadkill is an
issue growing with the growing traffic volumes, these results will
probably be used as reference for how to design other fencing projects.

Wayne