[R-sig-ME] extracting variance components in lme4?

Jerome Goudet Jerome.Goudet at unil.ch
Mon Feb 5 16:26:26 CET 2007

I was wondering whether anyone knew of a quick way to extract variance
component from an lmer (or lmer2) model.  I have a random effect nested
design (with fact2 nested in fact1) that I call as follow

model1<-lmer(resp~1+(1|fact1)+(1|fact2),data=data)

I can obtain the variance components from VarCorr (actually, the
variance components of fact1 and fact2 only, and the standard deviation
of the residuals):

vc<-VarCorr(model1)

but then, I can't extract the variance components and store them in a
simple R object (I could with lme of package nlme).  I need to do that
for further processing.

Any clues on how I could do it )

Many thanks in advance.

--