[R-sig-ME] large dataset

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 31 01:38:09 CET 2007

I should have mentioned this in my earlier reply - please use version
0.9975-12 of lme4 when checking with lmer2.  I just uploaded this
version to CRAN and it should appear on the main site and the mirrors
in a day or two.  You can get it now from the SVN archive

https://svn.r-project.org/R-packages/trunk/lme4

In an earlier thread on this list Andrew Robinson described how he was
unable to run even the simplest examples of lmer2 on a FreeBSD system.
 With his help we finally tracked down the dumb error that I had made
in the C function mer2_getPars and fixed it for the -12 release.
Under Linux the bug was not causing a memory error but it certainly
would use up much more memory than necessary during the iterations.