[R-sig-ME] New version of lme4 - memory error

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 29 15:47:36 CET 2007

On 1/29/07, Andrew Robinson <A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 12:29:29PM -0600, Douglas Bates wrote:

> > >ifelse(const,

> > >Thanks for your detailed response, Doug.  I ran debug(lmer2) as you
> > >suggested, and as you expected, I got the same results as you did.  Of
> > >course I would like to dig further into this problem.  I have limited
> > >experience using gdb, but I have used it.  If you don't mind providing
> > >a brief set of instructions, I will carry them out.
> >
> > Well, actually, that wasn't what I was expecting.  I thought that
> > something would look wrong in those slots.
> >
> > Can you be more specific about getting the same results as I did?  In
> > particular, did you get the same response to
> >
> > .Call("mer2_getPars", mer, PACKAGE = "lme4")
> >
> > If so, I'm not quite sure how it would fail in the same call
> > immediately afterwards.
>
> I'm sorry, what I told you was wrong.  I get:
>
> Browse[1]>
> debug: mer <- .Call(mer2_create, fl, Zt, t(X), as.double(Y), method ==
>     "REML", nc, cnames, fr$offset, fr$weights)
> Browse[1]>
> debug: const <- unlist(lapply(mer at nc, function(n) rep(1:0, c(n, (n *
>     (n - 1))/2))))
> Browse[1]> mer at ST
> $Subject
>           [,1]       [,2]
> [1,] 0.5163978 0.00000000
> [2,] 0.0000000 0.09673017
>
> Browse[1]> mer at dims
>   nf    n    p    q REML glmm
>    1  180    2   36    1    0
> Browse[1]> mer at nc
> Subject
>       2
> Browse[1]> .Call("mer2_getPars", mer, PACKAGE = "lme4")
> Error: Calloc could not allocate (164788288 of 4) memory

> the last of which is clearly different than you got :)

Congratulations, you get to go in with the symbolic debugger.
Fortunately the C function mer2_getPars is very short and (relatively)
simple.  My guess is that somehow the value of ntot is not being
calculated correctly and the failure is occurring in the call to
allocVector after the first 'for' loop.  For this example the value of
ntot should be 3 at that point.  Other values of importance are nf,
which should be 1, and nc[0] (recall that indexing in C is 0-based)
which should be 2.

Can you check those things for me please?