[R-meta] An issue with selmodel( type="step")

Will Hopkins w|||thek|w| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 28 08:56:18 CET 2024

Cool, thanks. I presume enough of those updates were already in the metafor
I downloaded last week (4.5-12), otherwise it wouldn't have run. Is there
another update I should try?

FYI, I tried selmodel(..., type="step", steps=(0.025)) with a similar
simulation of 2500 meta-analyses, all estimates significant, but this time
with small-moderate true heterogeneity (SD=1.5) rather than trivial-small
(SD=0.5). It's still working, although not that well: some remaining bias;
coverage is not very good, in spite of the wide confidence intervals, much
wider than those before adjustment; overall it's better than PEESE. I then
tried type="beta" with the first 100 of the simulations. Again it took more
than 2 hours, and only half of the sims had confidence limits for the fixed
effects. Overall beta would be better, if there was some way to coax it to
give more confidence limits.

Others have already noted how heterogeneity reduces the effectiveness of
adjustment for publication bias, so it's obviously important to include
study and subject characteristics as predictors to try to reduce
heterogeneity to a trivial value.

Will