[R-meta] Meta-analysis of proportion differences (certain cells frequency)

Jakub Ruszkowski j@kub@ru@zkow@k| @end|ng |rom gumed@edu@p|
Sat Mar 16 18:39:19 CET 2024

Dear Gerta,

The question was about combining mean proportions and mean counts (if rarely
available) in one analysis - is it reasonable to analyze them together (using
SMD) or not?

Best
Jakub

W dniu 2024-03-16 18:30, Dr. Gerta Rücker napisał(a):

> Dear Jakub,
>
> (I only superficiously followed this correspondence.)
> These mean proportions (of compositional data) are all on the same scale (0-1). Then, why not take MD instead of SMD? I do not really see an indication for SMD.
>
> Best,
> Gerta
>
> UNIVERSITÄTSKLINIKUM FREIBURG
> Institute for Medical Biometry and Statistics
>
> Dr. Gerta Rücker
> Guest Scientist
>
> Stefan-Meier-Straße 26 · 79104 Freiburg
> gerta.ruecker using uniklinik-freiburg.de
>
> https://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/imbi-en/employees.html?imbiuser=ruecker [1]

issue to the analysis of differences of main cell types of interest. Yeah, the authors usually report the mean and SD of the proportions. I forgot that sample means even from beta (/Dirichlet)

> distributions follow the normal distribution! Thank you a lot for clarifying that it is ok to use methods for mean differences. In case some studies would report cell counts, would you rather analyze them together with studies reporting only mean+SD [%] (using SMD) or treat them separately? Best wishes Jakub W dniu 2024-03-15 14:44, Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) napisał(a): Dear Jakub, Proportions like you are describing can be thought of as so-called 'compositional data' (i.e., data that describe to what extent some whole is composed of various subcomponents): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositional_data [2] [1] [2]For example, one might know that in a given person, 52% of their white blood cells are eutrophils, 36% are lymphocytes, 7% are monocytes, and the remaining 5% are other types. But without an actual count, these cannot be treated as binomial/multinomial counts and are just percentages (or proportions) of the whole. Compositional data analysis is its own subfield in
> statistics, but whether the methods described there are relevant in the present context is not clear to me. Since you mentioned the beta distribution: Yes, one could assume that a percentage/proportion like in the case above (i.e., a proportion of 0.36 of the white blood cells are lymphocytes) is beta distributed. But note that this is a proportion for a single individual. I would assume that there is such a proportion for multiple individuals within a group (e.g., patients). Then what is it that study authors would report? I would assume that they report the mean proportion (with hopefully also the SD of the individual proportions). If so, then one could basically just use methods for meta-analyzing means and mean differences. Best, Wolfgang
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositional_data [2]
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]