[R-meta] Selection models from *reported p-values*

Seetahul, Yashvin Y@@hv|n@Seet@hu| @end|ng |rom u|bk@@c@@t
Tue Mar 5 13:09:12 CET 2024

Dear R meta-analysis community,

I have a question with regards to selection models based on p-values.

Is it possible to do the selection model based on reported p-values directly rather than the p-values calculated from the effect size and SE?

In many cases, meta-analyses require transformations, or sometimes corrections. However, if we assume that there is a selection process in publishing papers that is based on the p-values, it would make more sense to consider the p-values that are reported in the papers, would it not?.

How would one proceed to do this? I believe the selmodel() function in metafor works with objects fitted with the rma() function, therefore, the p-values are re-calculated only from the effect size and SE.
Assuming I have the reported p-values (detailed up to three decimals) of all the studies included in my meta-analysis, is it possible to test for the selection of studies based on reported p-values and then correct the effect size?

I hope my question makes sense,

Thank you for your help,

Yashvin Seetahul