[R-meta] Standard error of heterogeneity with rma.uni

Will Hopkins w|||thek|w| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Mar 5 08:58:27 CET 2024

Sorry about "blindly copy-pasting" the code
"control=list(tau2.min=-min(vi))". I thought the vi was a variable in the
specified dataset. I didn't know it was an external data vector. I mean,
other parameters in rma.uni come from the data. I'm new to R and metafor,
remember, so I think in SAS terms.

I also didn't know how you had generated the SE for heterogeneity. I
implemented "scoring=100" in Proc Mixed, as per your suggestion, and yes, it
generates the same SE as yours. It does make the coverage of the 90%
confidence interval for the heterogeneity variance and for the fixed effects
a little suboptimal (~88%) under some small-sample circumstances, but a big
plus is that only a handful of 5000 simulations failed to converge, whereas
up to 500 of the 5000 simulations failed without scoring=100. So thank you,
the suboptimal coverage is worth it. Those other methods of estimation you
mentioned don't appear to be available in Proc Mixed, but I am happy with
the default REML. I am not skilled enough yet with R to run my simulations
therein (I have to learn "list" coding?), so the only way I can compare Proc
Mixed's confidence limits with those for the same dataset in metafor is to
specify type="PL" in the confint function. There was close agreement with
the CLs for the fixed effects, but big discrpancy for the upper CL for the
heterogeneity.

Using Proc Mixed, with 90% CLs:
CovParm	Estimate	StdErr	Lower	Upper
StudyID		0.5427		0.5316	-0.3317	1.4172

Using rma.unit:
tau^2 (estimated amount of residual heterogeneity): 0.5425 (SE = 0.5315)
Then confint(..., level=90,...):
              estimate ci.lb   ci.ub
tau^2    0.5425    NA     2.3542

I don't know what to make of that. Proc Mixed's upper CL comes from assuming
a normal distribution for the hetero variance. Remember, this way of doing
the CLs gives pretty darn good coverage. If your upper CL is consistency
greater than Proc Mixed's, the coverage will be way too high, won't it? I
guess I'll see what happens when I get 5000 simulations running in metafor.

Re: selmodel() does not work with negative variance for heterogeneity... So
the idea is not to allow negative point estimates of variance in rma.uni. A
substantial proportion of point estimates will want to be (and arguably
should be allowed to be) negative, when real heterogeneity is zero or
slightly positive, when sample sizes and numbers of studies are small, and
especially when there is substantial publication bias. But that's OK, you
have to set them to zero. Again, I'll have to see how well it works, when I
figure out how to do it.

Re: the discrepancy with the SE for the males... I couldn't reproduce that,
and I really did check it at the time. Let's say a cosmic ray flipped a bit!
I ran half a dozen more datasets in SAS and metafor, and the SEs of the
fixed effects all agreed.

Will