[R-meta] [+externe Mail+] Re: forest plot and study-specific effect

Yefeng Yang ye|eng@y@ng1 @end|ng |rom un@w@edu@@u
Thu Jun 6 09:48:41 CEST 2024

Dear Wolfgang, Gerta, and Christian,

Thank you very much for your thoughts.
The recommended sources (metafor example, papers, and bayesmeta package) are quite useful.

All the best,
Yefeng
________________________________
From: R-sig-meta-analysis <r-sig-meta-analysis-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of R�ver, Christian via R-sig-meta-analysis <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Sent: 06 June 2024 16:25
To: r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Cc: R�ver, Christian <christian.roever using med.uni-goettingen.de>
Subject: Re: [R-meta] [+externe Mail+] Re: forest plot and study-specific effect

Dear Yefeng,

the forest plots in the "bayesmeta" package by default show the
shrinkage estimates / BLUPs along with the plain data; see e.g. here:
  https://cran.r-project.org/package=bayesmeta
  https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v093.i06  (Fig.2)
(bayesmeta's forest plots are based on the "forestplot" package).

I often find this helpful to illustrate the amount of borrowing-of-
information / mutual support between studies, depending on the amount
of heterogeneity. It may in particular also be an interesting option in
cases where the "plain data estimates" may not be readily available,
e.g., when you are looking at a binomial likelihood and some studies
have zero event counts.

Cheers,

Christian