[R-meta] Default Random-Effects Model Estimate using metafor

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Thu Jul 18 14:22:41 CEST 2024

Dear Julia

I am not sure I completely understand but when you call rma and supply
yi and vi (perhaps generated with escalc) then what is returned is on
the same scale as yi and vi. You already converted the actual measures
you had (means, odds ratios, proportions, and so on) before you supplied
them to rma. If you ask rma to calculate the effect size rather than
supplying it yourself then it will return it on what ever scale you
started with.

Michael

On 18/07/2024 12:19, Prümmer, J. (Julia) via R-sig-meta-analysis wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been combing through the metafor package website, the mailing list archive, as well as the papers published on the metafor package and I could not find an answer to this question so I am posting it here.
>
> When running the rma function, is the overall effect size estimate I generate Hedge’s g or Cohen’s d by default?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Best,
> Julia
> Julia Prümmer
> PhD Candidate Cyber Security Governance
>
> Institute of Security and Global Affairs
> Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs, Leiden University
> j.prummer using fgga.leidenuniv.nl
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Michael