[R-meta] Meta-analysis approach for physical qualities benchmarks

Tzlil Shushan tz|||21092 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jul 15 01:31:10 CEST 2024

Hi James,

My apologies for the late response to your message. I preferred to take the
time to read and dive into the possible approaches you proposed rather than
responding without trying anything.

I have tried to explore previous examples for specifying the two variables
(means and log-transformed SD) within a single model. Unfortunately, I
could not find anything that I can rely on to replicate, and given that
statistics is not my primary field of expertise, I couldn’t develop it
myself, or even by consulting with statisticians within our schools. Do you
know of any references beyond the ones you previously sent that can help me
understand how to code these models to provide an example using mock data?

As you proposed earlier, I explored the relationships between means and SDs
in our datasets, and indeed there appears to be a trend for higher SD
outcomes with higher mean values. However, the associations range from only
small to moderate across all physical qualities we examine. I am not sure
whether this visual exploration is adequate to justify or disprove the
multivariate models, and we might be after larger magnitude trends.

While I am still unsure if it is the an appropriate approach to consider, I
further explored the comparability between the results in separate models
and a model that includes the measure (i.e., means or SD) as a moderator.
For obtaining variance-covariance matrices, I specified the clusters per
group id and measure (rather than group id only). The main results of this
model are exactly identical to the separate models' outputs. What seems to
differ and increase substantially are the heterogeneity results (e.g., Q
stats, sigma at different levels), which I assume is due to the different
metrics pooled together.

What are your thoughts on moving forward? Considering the subtle trend we
observed in the visual exploration, the identical results from both
separate and multivariate models, together with our lack of familiarity and
confidence in multivariate model approaches, my way to go is to stick with
separate models. While this might be the most reasonable approach at this
stage, I am not comfortable if it allows us to include the use of
benchmarks that consider both the pooled mean and SD together.

Thanks so much for your help, much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tzlil Shushan | Sport Scientist, Physical Preparation Coach

BEd Physical Education and Exercise Science
MSc Exercise Science - High Performance Sports: Strength &
Conditioning, CSCS
PhD Human Performance Science & Sports Analytics

‫בתאריך יום ו׳, 5 ביולי 2024 ב-8:01 מאת ‪James Pustejovsky‬‏ <‪
jepusto using gmail.com‬‏>:‬